Projects projects projects

The terrible purple lump has resolved itself into a Finished Thing!

Modeled picture of capelet
Now that all those long, long rows are done, I actually find myself missing knitting the thing. The pattern called for worsted weight yarn, but I achieved gauge with fingering weight yarn and 6mm needles. Somehow I managed to make 420 yards of fingering stretch further than 420 yards of worsted was supposed to, because once I knit the last stockinette stripe, I still had a rather generous amount of yarn left. I did a beaded picot cast-off, and that didn’t use up the yarn either, so I took the opportunity to finish the neck and arm holes with a row of single crochet worked with a 3.5mm hook. It’s almost invisible, but will prevent stretching and deformation of the piece.

I still ended up with a ball of yarn with an inch and a half diameter. Baffling! I’d weigh it, to see exactly how many yards I have left, but I don’t feel like getting out the scales. Have some detail shots of the capelet instead.

Detail of beaded picot cast off edge
Little beaded picots…and a stitch detail:

Stitch detail of capelet
Now that my knitting is finished (for now…I have some requests for Christmas that will require me to pick up the needles again), it’s back to crochet and toymaking! I’ve been working steadily on the third prototype of an older toy I designed to get it ready to be a Real Actual Pattern, which I will show you at a later date, but I’m thinking it’s time to get some fresh blood in my project bag.

The last two toys I designed were fish, and as much as I do love fish, I’m looking for a more dramatic shaping challenge. Fish, precious things they are, tend to be variations on a few very similar body plans: flat and horizontal, flat but vertical, spherical, and tube-shaped. (Notable exceptions include the mola mola, cubicus or yellow boxfish, flying gurnards, and the slantbrow batfish. All those links include pictures. Go on, click them. I know you want to.)

Still, regardless of the exceptions to the general shaping plans of fish, I wanted something a little more…sinuous. So I picked my next favorite group of creatures, Dinosauria, and designed a little Velociraptor character.

Velociraptor toy design!
Velociraptor mongoliensis was, despite the depictions in Jurassic Park and related media, a small feathered fox-sized predator from Mongolia. Fossil specimens have been found in locations that would have been desert when Velociraptor lived, rather than jungle or forest. The presence of quill knobs on the arms is evidence of fully feathered wing structures, and research on dromaeosaurs (the family Velociraptor belongs to) and closely-related species like Tyrannosaurus suggests this kind of sitting position. The color is based off of this paleoart, suitable for a desert creature.

As for the actual crochet part, I’m debating whether to crochet “patches” of color that are sewn on afterwards, or doing colorwork directly on the body. For sure, I’m thinking about using a wire slicker brush to create the fluffy appearance and using short rows to shape it so that the head, neck, body, and tail can be done all of a piece. Surface crochet is a given, because I love it. The jury is still out on safety eyes or more detailed crochet eyes. I can’t wait to get started prototyping.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *